Computer
(Story of how I got a computer 1 month into my placement, just incase I needed it to do computer training!)**Conversation with S.G. aka "The Boss" during my second week of work**
Me: So, I wanted to have this meeting with you to see what kind of goals you wanted me to achieve while I'm here
Secretary General: Hmm..
[long pause]
Mo: SO, my placement description says that I'm an IT Training Officer...
SG: Yes, we want to do computer training
Me: Yes, Yes, can be done absolutely.
[long pause, again]
SG: Ok, so when are you starting?
Me: Well, I can start right away, it's just taht I would need access to atleast one working computer for training purposes
SG: Oh.
[long pause X 3]
SG: So, why don't you write up a proposal saying why you need a computer, what kind of computer, and when you need it
Me: Umm, well, I need the computer because I need to do computer training, and I can't start trainings without it
SG: Okay.
Me: So?
SG: Write up a proposal
*Being the keener that we all are in the first few weeks of the job, I draft up the proposal that very afternoon, submit it and get it signed by the SG that very day as well. Only problem is that the Accountant decides that I don't necessarily *need* a computer, so he doesn't give me the money to buy the computer.*
**Conversation with "The Boss" during my fourth week of work**
Me: *It's Friday, and I'm getting ready to leave for the day*
SG: Good Afternoon FATI! (He can't say my name, so came up with his own short form. I think I can live with this alteration, rather than "khatima" or "fat-ma")
Me: *I smile, while trying to make sure my lips don't get stuck in the braces; fail in my attempt so get out a fumbled "Good Afternoon" while trying to bring my lips back to their natural state)
SG: You need a computer?
ME: *still struggling with getting my lips/gums/skin unhooked frmo the gazillion hooks in the braces* Um, what?
SG: You need a computer?
Me: Yes, yes, .. I would. If you want me to do computer training, than a computer would be somewhat helpful
SG: Here *hands me a wad of cash, equal to $400 CAN*
Me: Um.. *confused, because I don't realize he's handing me money*
SG: Go buy a comptuer
Me: *looks down, realizes its $$$, but confused* Okay..?
SG: You need anything else, you let me know.
Me: *smiles* Um, okay.
So, now, I have a computer! :) I no longer have to teach people what a comptuer *would* look like, had it been sitting on the table next to us. Yay! :P


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home