Frustrated - there is *somebody* under this hijab
So frustrated! I love the fact that I wear a hijab but it's frustrating when nobody can look past that, and realize that there is a non-generic person under this cloth.First, you get the kind of people who will always ask in response to being told that I am a Canadian volunteer, "no, I mean, where are you REALLY from?!" WTH is that supposed to mean? I am more patient towards the ni-vans who probably thought that Canada was dominated by Caucasians because of the lack of representation of colored people in television and movies. But, what truly enrages me is when volunteers* from countries like France and Australia want me to say where I'm "from." (Read notes from Saturday night, Jan 6, 2006)
Secondly, you get the kind of men who, even if only unconsciously, believe that women are lower species and appreciate how Islam forces women to show more respect to God and men by wearing more modest clothing. (oh lord! how do you go about explaining that the exact oppposite is true?!)
Thirdly, you get the kind who automatically assume you are homophobic and anti-semitic.
Well, in all fairness, I have to say I don't do much to constantly struggle these judgements; often, I'm just too tired and like to sit back and simply observe (or more so, predict) other's judgements rather than making the effort of (and taking the risk to) let them know things about myself. But still, it frustrates me how we, as members of the non-dominant culture, have to constantly define and explain ourselves and our actions.
*Again, let's be very clear: most of these volunteers have to go through an intense 1-month-long orientation on cultural understanding and adaption. In my mind, the fact that certain people show certain show stereoptypical tendencies AFTER such an intense trianing is worse than those who never had the opportunity to learn about these different thigns.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home