Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Devil Wears Prada

wednesday, jan 17th

There's a cafe that only expats frequent (because only they can afford the prices!). They recently got a volunteer from Australia, me thinks, and in classic Western-thought-process, they're trying to increase their customer base as "growth = progress = always good". So, they've started showing movies on Wednesdays and Fridays, and were playing "The Devil Wears Prada" tonight. I was super excited to go, thinking "oh! this'll be great. The trailers are hilarious, so I bet the movie is amazing as well." Yeah! Couldn't have been wrong-er. (Yes, I'm going to start making up English words so just bear with me!). The advertising-people-behind-the-movie decided to put *all* of the funny parts in the trailers; really, there's not much more to see other than the cliche "if you want to be successful at work, you have to backstab people and ignore your family" yada yada yada. Anyway, now I can say that I am certainly glad to not have wasted $10 on going to the theatres back in Canada. Also, I don't know if it was the movie but I think I've started developing A.D.D; I was ready to call it quits merely 30 minutes into the flick.

ps: why is it that we, as expats and volunteers, can make ni-vans feel uncomfortable and out-of-place even in their own country?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home