West Papua
So, something that I was completely unaware of until coming to this part of the world: Indonesia is colonizing West Papua. And as always, money and natural resources is the motivator. And the kind of atrocities they’ve been committing are, in one word, outrageous.It’s really amazing that we as Muslims in North America are actively working against the various forms of colonization that Muslim countries all over the world have to face, but fail to even acknowledge that there is a Muslim country doing the same thing to others.
I’m guessing the following link might be give comprehensive, even if strongly-biased, information on Indonesia’s aggression: http://www.freewestpapua.org/
On a side note, there was this overwhelming feeling of guilt during the entire orientation session on West Papua: simply by virtue of being Muslim, I felt I was somehow responsible for what Indonesia has done to the people of West Papua. Is this how Caucasians feel whenever attending the very frequent colonization and anti-colonization sessions? Is this how practicing Christians feel whenever learning about the harm done by the missionaries to the traditional structure, knowledge and practices of the host nationals?


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home