Tuesday, June 12, 2007

i Miss.

You know what I miss the most? I miss the muslim community. I miss not having to explain again-and-again-and-again-and-again what the hijab is or why I can't drink alcohol or why I can only marry Muslims or why Muslims are NOT satan/sun worshippers or how the Quran doesn't command Muslims to kill all non-believers or how my parents don't force me to wear hijab or how I wear skirts *not* because I'm not allowed pants, but because I want to respect the host culture where females wearing pants are sometimes frowned upon.

Yes, I realize that this is a really huge opoprtunity that I've been chosen for, to explain to others and to clarify their misunderstandings about Islam/Muslims. But at one point, it all just gets too frustrating. It all ends up just being a too taxing, emotionally and intellectually.

Yes, yes yes, I'm being whiny. This is nothing compared to the struggles other people have to face on a daily basis. But, just wanted to write this post to say to the Muslim community back in Canada: thank you.

I think we don't thank each other often enough. Yes, there are politics. Yes, there are disagreements. And yes, there is judgementalism. But still, I can't wait to be back in Canada where I'm one of the *many* hijabis or salat-praying people, rather than the *only* head-scarf-wearing-person in the entire city and only the second on the entire island!

hijabis: those who wear a hijab. Hijab is the head-scarf Muslim women wear

Try explaining to people that your prayer direction is determined by the sun since the Kaaba is to the West of Vanuatu, but still you do *not* worship the sun. And again, try doing all this Bislama. Half the times even I don't know what I've said to people!

1 Comments:

At 5:43 PM, Blogger HS said...

Beautiful post!

And yes, I must confess that I am a regular reader of your wonderful blog; very very insightful. This material is good enough for Fatima's own Lonely Planet series... :-)

Hope you're doing well Fatima! Keep 'em posts coming...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home