Sunday, October 15, 2006

Vanuatu

Wondering what in the world Vanuatu is?

Check it

Supposedly, the most linguistically diverse country on the planet, a country that is made up of 83 islands and is placed in the middle of Fiji and Australia.

Why am I talking about Vanuatu?

Simply 'cuz I'll be working there for a FULL SIX MONTHS, starting September Inshallah. That means I'll have to take an year off school and
...

So, back to the whole Vanuatu subject: I am leaving for a CUSO/CIDA sponsored position; I'll be training the women and staff to use the IT centre present at the Shefa Women's Provincial Centre. The position details are posted here: insert link

Ps: Shefa is a province, home to the country's capital, Port Vila, where I'll be working.

I will probably get all of December off to tour around, and so can probaly visit all 7 provinces of Vanuatu and maybe even take a trip to Fiji or Papua New Guinea (expenses permitting). Very excited because some of these people, esp. in the rural areas, are still living a very "unadultered" lifestyle (in terms of being influenced by the Western life style).

I also get langauge training in Bismala and can probably learn French for very cheap if I decide I have the time and ambition to do so.

This place was rated as the "Happiest Place on Earth" by some magazine; it was also referred to as "Paradise on Earth" by some of its residents. This, coupled with how much I have heard of Fiji's and Australia's beauty, is making me expect lots of natural beauty.

There isn't much activity, other than purely-nature-indulgent stuff, such as snorkeling, swimming, hiking and sitting around watching the tress sway in wind. There are famous golf-courses, horse-riding ranches and other things of that sort but these are purely the territory of rich Westerners, and even if I am able to afford this stuff I would prefer not to partake in it at all -- simply because if the locals can't afford to do it, than it's not their culture, and therefore, I shouldn't bother wasting my time and money on it either.

So far this post has been ultra-positive, but fear not, there is a "I'm scared" version coming right after this! :P

For all those who read this, I ask you to please make dua (i.e pray to God, that is, if you believe in one) that all goes well, that this experience is worth whatever minor stuff I have had to sacrifice, that I am able to gain the most from it and that I come back with something that the whole community and preferably the entire world (yes, VERY cliche *rolls eyes*) can benefit from!

Imma end this post, simply because it has gotten too long and because I'm scared that I've already lost all my readers by this point. As an ending note I'm going to re-state my excitement for this placement; it is truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and I hope that I am able to make the most of this experience!

2 Comments:

At 9:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Fatima
I came across your Blog by chance, but then again nothing is by chance. I am Linda Echentille and we spent time together when I too was volunteering in Vanuatu for the National Council For Women. To help remind you, you and your friend also came to dinner at a house that an NZ volunteer and myself were housesitting. YOu were a person whom I considered so young to have such extraordinary wisdom and skills. I would be most interested in knowing what you are doing now, and 'did you finish your uni degree?'

Best wishes

Linda E

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger faa-T said...

Hi Linda,

I definately definately remember you! and our conversations :) -- I've retold your story about the necklace to many people.

The university degree -- unfortunately, that is still in the process of being completed. After returning from Vanuatu, I stayed in school for 3 terms to complete a few courses. Then got distracted, yet again! As it holds, I'm still not done the degree requirements.

I am however working in the Arctic -- Inuvik, nortwest territories to be exact. I lucked out with a job, and currently working as the Executive Director.

How are you? Where are you? What are you doing these days?

Thanks for getting in touch; it made my day :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home